More Than 30 Years Of Serving The St. Louis Metro Area

Is there a right way to complain to your HOA?

On Behalf of | Sep 21, 2018 | Homeowner Association Law

When you live in a shared community, there are many valuable benefits that you get to enjoy including things like access to public amenities and assistance with maintaining the grounds around your residence. Often, these areas are governed by a homeowner’s association, otherwise known as an HOA. When you are unhappy about something that requires you to communicate your concern to your HOA in Missouri, going about it the right way can help to reduce conflict and expedite the process of finding a viable solution. 

The worst thing you can do is to be ignorant or react irrationally to an issue you may have. Doing so could compromise your standing with the HOA, as well as the opinion that your neighbors may have of you. Rather, as soon as you discover something that you are unhappy about, make the decision to go about raising your concerns in a manner that is respectful and fair. 

According to Keystone Pacific Property Management, LLC, before you bring a complaint to the attention of the HOA, gather evidence that supports your concern. Document your findings in a way that clearly describes the problem and why it is inconvenient or dangerous. If you have the opportunity to bring your issue up at a board meeting, be sure that you attend and find an appropriate time to discuss your problem. Regardless of how upset you may be, it is critical that you keep your cool and act respectfully to the members of the HOA board and other people in your community who may uphold a different opinion than yours. Finally, practice patience as you wait for a response from your HOA. There are times when changing certain policies will require research and time. If you are curious if things are being done, simply maintain cordial and regular communication and even offer your suggestions for finding a solution. 

The information in this article is intended for educational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.