Experienced St. Louis Area Municipal Law Attorney
At Martin, Leyhe, Stuckmeyer & Associates LLC, we have the talent and over 30 years of experience to represent you in a wide range of matters regarding local government and municipal law.
We work with the Board of Aldermen, city administrators, elected officials, as well as businesses and individuals, helping them resolve local tax matters and issues concerning land use and development.
What Issues Are You Facing?
Eminent domain is the power of the city or state to appropriate private property for public use. Condemnation is the process by which the appropriation is accomplished.
In a typical condemnation proceeding, the city decides it needs a given parcel of land. The affected landowners are notified. Negotiations are conducted to determine a fair value of the property.
If the parties are unable to reach a resolution, a lawsuit is filed and three commissioners determine the amount the city must pay the owner for the confiscated property. Either party can contest the determination.
Some of the other matters we handle relating to municipal law include:
- Zoning and land use — The process by which the city controls the use of land. We help private individuals and businesses resolve zoning and land use issues.
- Annexations — The city’s taking of land to expand its boundaries.
- Elections and campaign law — Representing candidates in recounts or challenges based on voting improprieties.
- Variances — Assisting with applications for code variances.
- Building code laws — Assisting property owners dealing with citations issued by the city.
- Contract disputes — Representing private individuals and businesses seeking to enforce the terms of a government contract or to get monetary damages as a result of a breach of the contract.
We will work hard so that you can meet your tax, developmental or other legal obligations. We offer weekend appointments and are willing to develop payment plans.
If you need an experienced and effective Missouri lawyer to represent you or your business interests, call our office at 636-487-4097 or complete the online form. From our office in St. Charles, we serve clients throughout the St. Louis metro area.